Name: Jennifer Beattie
Position: Head of Subject
5 Bits of Advice About: Behaviour management
- Be friendly, but not their friend. They have their own friends, as do you.
- Prioritise “certainty” rather than “severity”. The fact that they WILL be sanctioned can actually be more powerful than the sanction itself.
- Get a detentions book/ diary and write everything down. Let nothing be forgotten. If you “forget” a detention and they realise this, you’ll lose them. Be organised. Always.
- Look at your school’s sanctions ladder closely and make sure you understand it. While it might be your room, you can’t just run it any way you like.
- Try to focus on the positives. Find the kids who ARE doing what you asked. Praise them; lots. Find some time to make “nice” phone calls home. It’ll keep you sane!