Name: Stuart McQueen
Position: Head of Subject
5 Bits of Advice About: Building relationships with students
- Be honest about your reasons for your decisions, whether that be grouping, homework setting, rewards or punishments.
- Do not be afraid to let students see your mistakes. If they correct you congratulate them, likewise point out their mistakes, but model how you would like to be spoken to.
- Let students see your passions and enthusiasms; let them see how much you love not just your subject, but other interests too. Let them see you as a person.
- Be interested in them and their passions, I have learned a lot from students about a huge range of topics and it lets them know you value them and their opinions.
- Do all of the above, but have clear boundaries and expectations. Model how you expect to be spoken to and speak to the students like that.