Name: Miss Trainee
Position: NQT and Year 7 English Lead
5 Bits of Advice About: Praise
- Make it accessible to all so it does not exclude the “naughty” kids or ignore the “good” kids.
- Make it regular so they can see the link between their actions and reward rather than it being haphazard.
- Try giving raffle tickets during discussions. Students get a ticket for contributing and then a winner is drawn for a lolly (for example).
- Loyalty stamps: 1 good piece of work gets a stamp, 5 stamps is a postcard home and the most in a term wins a prize.
- Do not take back rewards (e.g. raffles) if a student misbehaves. It can entrench their mindset that anything good they do is worthless.