Name: Nerys Blower
Subject: Science and Food Tech
Position: PSHC Coordinator
5 Bits of Advice About: Developing effective classroom management strategies
- Observe as many different teachers as possible. Don’t try to be someone you’re not but try out different strategies you observe in your own lessons.
- Use clear and concise language that gives a direct instruction. Say ‘stop talking’ rather than ‘I would like you to be quiet’.
- Getting feedback from colleagues observing you is invaluable. Sometimes you don’t realise what student behaviours you are missing or misinterpreting.
- Use a wide range of rewards and sanctions appropriately. Some students like reward points, others respond more to a positive phone call home.
- Model the behaviours you want to see in your students. Be organised and punctual; be polite and calm; have an open mind and a GSOH!