Name: Brian Dickinson
5 Bits of Advice About: Discipline
- Learn their names, especially the quiet ones. Good classroom management is not only dealing with the loud or naughty ones but dealing with every child in your class.
- Try to find out your students interests. I have had many conversations about football, TV programmes or music outside of lessons, it makes you more like a normal human being.
- Never be afraid to admit to colleagues if you are struggling with a student or a class. Another colleague may be able to help.
- Never be afraid to apologise if you are in the wrong. How can you expect students to apologise if they never see you do it.
- Show you have a sense of humour. Laugh with your students if something in your lessons happens that is funny.