Name: Craig Jeavons
Position: Curriculum Coordinator
5 Bits of Advice About: Questioning
- ‘Why’ is the most powerful question you can ask. Never accept an answer, push for a solution.
- To improve engagement pose the question, give thinking time, pick student A to answer, ask student B to comment on A’s response.
- Throw some curveballs. Questions with 0s and 1s, letters instead of numbers or nasty looking questions with surprisingly simple answers- “So why did that work out so nicely?”
- Move the goalposts. Change the problem, see if they can adapt their solution ‘what if that 5 was a -5?’ etc.
- Record yourself in action. Turn voice record on your phone, chuck it in your pocket, listen back at your own convenience.