Position: Former teacher
5 Bits of Advice About: Workload
- You will start off with verbose planning and excessive resourcing. Analyse which parts are actually helpful and stop doing the rest.
- Identify tasks that are required but do not benefit you/the pupils. Work out what the minimum requirement is and do no more.
- Don’t spend time crafting or searching for perfect resources. Find resources that are ‘good enough’ and spend your time thinking about how they are used.
- Establish routines that mean pupils do all the menial tasks (including some marking). Drill these routines so everything runs like clockwork.
- Managing behaviour leeches time and energy. Don’t dwell, just follow the system to the letter, do your bit and demand that others do theirs.