Name: Jan Baker
Position: Curriculum Leader
5 Bits of Advice About: Contacting parents
- Make sure you end each day with at least two positive phone calls home if you have to ring about children who have not met expectations. Do this just before you leave.
- Always make sure that you tell them you are either going to a meeting, on your way to a lesson or just on your way out to cut down on time spent on the phone to parents.
- Try and text or email home with positive comments each week. Parents love this and it’s good for keeping the students who cause you no trouble and work willingly on side.
- Don’t offer to pick up any other issues mentioned by the parent unless you genuinely have time to sort them out. Refer them instead to the appropriate person.
- Always start difficult conversations with “I’m a bit concerned about…” this way the parent will be more likely to be on side and willing to discuss any issues.