Twitter: None given
Subject: None given
Position: Head of Department
5 Bits of Advice About: Planning
- Ignore people who tell you to write a script for a lesson and learn it by heart. Teaching doesn’t work like that.
- No lesson, however well planned, will survive unscathed from a) a wasp in the room and b) a flake of snow outside.
- Most of us overestimate what we will get through in one lesson when we start out teaching.Timing comes with practice.
- Don’t feel afraid to say “No questions for the moment” or “I’ll take questions later” There is a time for questions, but there is also a time for concentrating.
- Run a mile from any school which insists all teachers in all subjects follow a standard template for every lesson. Good teaching involves flexibility.