Position: Head of Department
5 Bits of Advice About: Planning
- Always accept support; don’t reinvent the wheel.
- Prior learning: finding out what the students know makes planning easier and much more focussed.
- Guide everything: avoiding too much teacher talk doesn’t mean endless off-topic questions are good; narrow the direction and broaden the skills.
- Give them options. Students are more inclined to complete tasks when they have chosen the layout, give them a few options to bring out the best in them.
- Variety is the key to continued enjoyment. Not all topics are thrilling, but tasks can be, so be creative in how students obtain and apply information and skills.