Name: Stuart Lock
5 Bits of Advice About: Building relationships with support staff
- Smile, get to know, and be nice to those in the office. You will need their discretionary effort, including holding off parents or advice about the school, at some point.
- Smile, get to know, and be nice to those in resources/ photocopying. You will need their services regularly, and discretionary effort at some point.
- Remember that colleagues who aren’t teachers are still your colleagues. Do not unwittingly exacerbate any teacher/ non-teacher divide.
- Value non-teaching staff in pastoral positions, they’re certain to bail you out of a tricky situation at some point.
- Don’t be afraid of asking if there is someone who can help you with things that are not classroom based (e.g. typing, resource creating, etc).