Name: Megan Mog
Position: Head of Languages
5 Bits of Advice About: Speaking in the MFL Classroom
- Establish routine and requests in the TL, teach responses and insist on adherence! Don’t overdo gesticulation, they’ll use eyes instead of ears which defeats the purpose.
- Invest significant time in phonics because if students sound rubbish they won’t talk! Repeat key grapheme/phoneme combos regularly and don’t accept poor pronunciation.
- Hand out chatty mats; once trained, children use support materials all the time. Use display that supports speaking; phrases, opinions, connectives, etc.
- Mine #mfltwitterati and relevant Facebook groups; there is a wealth of stuff and FABULOUS teaching tips out there to help you!
- Don’t correct every error students make, encouraging communication over accuracy, initially. And remember you’re there to teach, not entertain in a foreign language. Enjoy!