Subject: Literacy and EAL
Position: Head of English
5 Bits of Advice About: Tutor time
- Use it as if it matters. Don’t allow it to descend into routine ticks and reminders. It sets the tone for the day.
- Look at the news: resources like First News are great for sharing stories, holding news quizzes & building general knowledge.
- If you can, let one period be silent reading. At the end, ask random students to share something short about their book.
- Every once in a while toss a thought problem or a ‘thunk’ at your tutees. This sets an expectation at the start of the day that use of brains will be mandatory today.
- Let the students to have a say in something meaningful: circle time, choosing time, school council. You’re the boss, but you’re the best boss they’ve ever had.