Subject: Chemistry and Physics
5 Bits of Advice About: Long term planning
- Know when the ‘hard’ deadlines are, if mocks are after Christmas you need to make sure you’ve taught everything they need by then.
- Use the school calendar to work out when your going to lose lessons due to trips or all day assessments.
- Using tip 1 and tip 2, work out how many hours of contact time you have and how many hours of content you need to teach. Squash things accordingly.
- Plan in what I call ‘bounce/squeeze’ lessons, so you can adjust your teaching to your students needs, and move faster or recap when required.
- Be realistic, don’t teach a hard topic last lesson on the Friday before Xmas. Plan for fun; this is where science has the advantage as I just set things on fire!