Name: Ashley Larter
Subject: All subjects
Position: Teacher and Maths Subject Leader
5 Bits of Advice About: Routines
- Have high expectations from the very start. Ensure children have a task to complete during registration – this settles them and starts them off well.
- Sounds obvious but make sure everyone is treated fairly. Set boundaries quickly and stick to these!
- Ensure that everyone has a chance to answer through a range of strategies to keep children on their toes. Pose, pause, pounce or lollipop sticks are useful.
- Giving roles / monitor jobs to ch gives them ownership, independence, makes transitions between lessons easier and gives them a purpose/ responsibility.
- Taking ages for children to get home stuff ready? Play the timing game – start the stop watch, time ch and then they guess how long it took. Winner is the child/pair who is closest.