Name: Miss RQT
Subject: All subjects
5 Bits of Advice About: Teaching grammar at KS2
- Teach all 8 word classes – not all at once, but let the children know that there are 8 altogether (a good place to start remembering these is PC V PANDA).
- Do it daily – even if that means grammar games as starters in every English lesson. (Yes – games! Grammar is fun if you make it fun.)
- You *can* teach discrete grammar lessons – it can’t all be taught through writing. Sometimes you’ll need a whole lesson to explain modal verbs and how to use them.
- Subject knowledge – do *you* know the difference between a subordinating & coordinating conjunction? A comparative & superlative adjective? A possessive & relative pronoun?
- You are allowed to think some of it ridiculous: 10 year olds having to know about the subjunctive mood? Ridiculous; but it *is* interesting – think of it that way, too.