Name: Bryan Molin
Position: Assistant Headteacher
5 Bits of Advice About: Dealing with difficult parent phone calls
- Eat that frog. If you know it’s going to be difficult the sooner it’s done the better.
- Have a plan about what to say and go through it with a trusted leader.
- Keep calm, polite and assertive. Listen more than you speak.
- Keep the conversation factual and focus on discussing behaviours not the person.
- If you are being shouted at or offended, calmly tell the parent you will need to refer the matter upwards and end the call politely. Don’t tolerate abuse.