Position: Head of Department
5 Bits of Advice About: Starting at a new school
- Set clear simple rules and follow them consistently. Make sure they match school procedures.
- Keep your lessons simple and full of hard work. Set the tone for the rest of the year.
- Ignore anyone, typically pastoral leaders, who try to excuse pupil behaviour. Find staff who deal with it and can support you.
- Find out stuff about the pupils in your care, especially difficult ones. It makes it easier to get them onside.
- Don’t get too stressed by homework. The only people who are all over homework are the people who don’t have to do it or set it.