Name: Martin Thompson
Position: Teacher, Head of Year
5 Bits of Advice About: Teaching about Islam
- Don’t avoid controversy – kids know what is happening in the world, so talk about it.
- Be rigorous – in the time limits you have you can still do deep. Encourage pupils to have an enquiring mind and to go beyond the headlines.
- Deepen your own understanding. Don’t just rely on the textbooks or a quick Google. Read the texts, get a multiplicity of views.
- Help pupils to engage with authentic Muslim voices – your local Mosque will usually welcome a visit. Try building links with university groups if you are close enough to them.
- Avoid simplification like a plague. Your pupils deserve better than that, and will never have their opinion challenged unless you meet their questions head on.