Name: Mike Stuchbery
5 Bits of Advice About: Managing traumatic international events in the classroom
- Don’t pretend it didn’t happen. The absence of acknowledgement can allow misinformation & fear to flourish.
- Allow some time for discussion. Young people will often have concerns and anxieties that a few choice words from a teacher may be able to allay.
- Ensure that routine doesn’t fly out the window. The stability of processes followed each lesson will do much to calm and reassure students.
- Model the kind of emotional response you’d expect in your classroom. Remain objective and as calm as possible.
- If some want to keep talking about events with you, offer to outside class or direct them to pastoral support staff to allow further processing of the event.