5 Bits of Advice About: Teaching Secondary RE
- Be passionate: the pupils will feed off of that, those ‘disengaged’ pupils will lift their heads if they hear your passion.
- Stay calm: you are going to hear and read things that shock you in a bad way, stay calm and explain any misunderstandings with pupils patiently, it’s your job.
- Celebrate: you are also going to hear things that shock you in a good way, pupils will surprise you, they have a much deeper understanding than you could ever imagine.
- Answer ‘that’ question: your chosen subject will have you justifying your subject to pupils, parents and sometimes staff. Be ready to do it at any moment.
- Feel privileged: one of the few places pupils can truly share ideas and thoughts is in RE, it’s a privilege that you hear these things, it’s not always easy for them.