Name: Paul Donald
Position: Deputy Head
5 Bits of Advice About: Teaching history
- Make sure you really, really know your stuff. If you do, planning is easy.
- Students can’t watch Blackadder, Days That Shook the World or anything else for that matter and take notes. It doesn’t work.
- Invest in a decent classroom library for your A Level groups to use. Start with texts from your uni courses.
- Stay away from ‘fun activities’ in textbooks/worksheets. Just make sure they have really detailed knowledge.
- Love what you teach. It’s infectious and irresistible to kids when you do.