Name: Ron Gordon
5 Bits of Advice About: Behaviour management
- It’s easier to change your response to bad behaviour than it is to change bad behaviour. This is not as defeatist as you might think.
- Non verbal cues are less easy to argue with. Place a bin in from of gum chewing pupil rather than talking about it.
- Allow pupils take up time with a request you have. Issue request discreetly, then come back to chase up original concern.
- Avoid language of confrontation. “Pop out to the corridor, I’d like a word” not “GET OUT OF MY CLASSROOM!”
- With difficult pupils, try keeping your conversations to the work in hand, not behaviour. They’re more likely to accept your academic rather than your moral credentials.