Name: Bryan Molin
Position: Assistant Headteacher
5 Bits of Advice About: Applying for your first internal promotion
- Take it seriously. They know you and the good work you put in, but you need to act as if you’re applying for an external job.
- Ask as many (pertinent) questions as possible prior to the interview. It helps preparation and shows your eagerness.
- Go into it with full confidence. There is no shame in not getting the job, but make sure you book a meeting to get a full debrief.
- The evening before the interview, plan to have an evening off work, so you go into the interview with a clear mind.
- Ask one of your work colleagues for support in preparing. Knowing the school’s context will increase the likelihood of being able to predict potential questions.