5 Bits of Advice About: Doing the job you’re employed to do
- Know your conditions of service. This might be School Teachers’ Pay & Conditions, or different if you’re in an academy – but you need to know what you’re employed to do.
- Be on time: to lessons, to meetings, to briefings, to parents’ evenings – to everything. There is no excuse for being late.
- Do your duties. Not showing up, or being late to them, means you leave other staff vulnerable should something happen. At best it means other staff having to cover for you.
- Know your rights in terms of rarely cover, directed time, class sizes, classroom temperatures – the day to day stuff is as important as the ‘big issues’.
- Read the school policies. Start with those that impact you most, and work your way through them: this will benefit you in the long run.