5 Bits of Advice About: Teaching sixth formers
- Sixth Formers are not yet adults. They still require structure, rules, consequences and guidance.
- Sixth Formers are no longer school children. Don’t dumb down language or activities, or use childish memes to try to engage them.
- Just because they have chosen to be in post secondary doesn’t mean they will always be highly motivated or independent; this still needs to be taught and made explicit.
- Get them into good homework habits early. Set as much as you reasonably can and make them responsible for getting help.
- Make sure there is a way for parents/guardians to be kept in the loop where appropriate. They have a right to know.