Name: Kathleen McGillycuddy
Twitter name: @McGillycuddy101
Subject taught (if applicable): English
Position: Assistant Headteacher
What is your advice about? Communicating with parents
- Talk to parents – most parents respond well to communications and just want their child to do well. Don’t be afraid!
- Show you are concerned about their child and really want them to be happy/progress – don’t nag the parent or tell them off even if you are feeling frustrated.
- Stick to your promises – if you have said you will call them, send work home or talk to someone then do it. You may have 100s of students but they only have their child.
- Don’t be drawn into any arguments – if a parent is really unhappy refer them to your team leader or SLT.
- You are the ambassador of your school for that parent – they listen to everything you say and take it seriously. Before any communication plan what you will say.