Name: Chloe Stecko
Twitter name: @stecks1992
Subject taught (if applicable):
Position: Teaching Assistant
What is your advice about? Working effectively with Teaching Assistants
- Be proactive. You are responsible for your students’ progress. Direct your TA to assist with the progress of learning.
- Have frequent conversations with TA’s about the students they work with and their progression. Learners need to change over time.
- Work out strategies to best support SEND students – seating plans, behaviour. Consult your TA with this.
- Often, students will say ‘you’re only a teaching assistant you can’t do that.’ Back up your TA, they will back you up and want to help more.
- Be prepared if a TA isn’t in your lesson, there are sometimes last minute changes to be made and no one to cover. How can you support your SEND students if a TA isn’t there?