Name: Diane Propsting
Sector: Special school
Subject taught (if applicable):
What is your advice about? Teaching Assistants
- Spend time building relationships with your teaching assistants. This means getting to know them to find areas of common interest, create trust and lots of communication.
- Trust your teaching assistants, particularly if you work with a HLTA or TA3. You need to trust their judgement especially when it comes to evidence collection.
- Try to encourage and welcome feedback from your teaching assistants. You may need to delegate a good idea so try not to get precious about it.
- Find out what motivates your teaching assistants and use it. They need support and development too.
- Encourage your teaching assistants to be proactive and work with them to experiment in the classroom.