Name: James Theobald
Twitter name: @JamesTheo
Subject taught (if applicable): English
Position: English Teacher
What is your advice about? How to teach a book
- Firstly, be a History teacher: spend lots of time teaching social, historical, cultural and biographical contexts. Give pupils something to hang their ideas on when reading.
- Next, tap into your inner Maths teacher: identify the patterns – the recurring themes, motifs and symbols. Draw attention to them throughout reading.
- Be a Psychology teacher: focus on characters and their intentions. Treat them as studies in humanity. What can pupils learn about the world from them?
- Be a teacher of Philosophy: identify the questions the text provokes. Pitch these as ways into chapters/sections or as essay questions in response to the text.
- Most importantly, be an English teacher: make sure pupils read lots (including reading outside of the text); plan for pupils to write about what they’ve read.