Name: Emma Owen Davies
Twitter name: @emma_teacher
Subject taught (if applicable): Religious Studies
Position: Head of Department
What is your advice about? Teaching A level RS for first time
- Always go back to the original texts – e.g read Aquinas in translation but don’t rely just on textbook interpretation
- Ask questions- if you’re not sure whether something is a priori/inductive etc or why, ask. It might be that you’re teaching a topic you haven’t for looked at for a while.
- Use the specification but reach out to colleagues in other schools. Ask how they structure, how assess to compare.
- Use the examiners’ reports and copy exemplar for students to model and magpie from
- Check understanding regularly with key terms and scholars; short timed tests are useful as well as essay practice. They’ll thank you in the end!