Name: Michael Fordham
Twitter name: @mfordhamhistory
Subject taught (if applicable): History
Position: Assistant Headteacher
What is your advice about? Teaching history
- Work out the school behaviour policy and apply it ruthlessly. Insist on periods of silent reading and writing.
- Know your stuff. Pupils expect you to know everything that happened in the past and it helps build their confidence in you if you appear to know your subject well.
- Make sure what pupils read is quality, detailed history. Read as a class and pause regularly to check comprehension; new words should be identified and revisited.
- Get them writing in every lesson, and insist on answers that go beyond single sentences. From the outset get them giving multiple examples and elaborations on ideas.
- History is wonderful already: you don’t need to dress it up as something else. Love your subject, and show your pupils your love for it.