Name: Julie Smith
Twitter name: xjuliesmithx
Subject taught (if applicable): English
Position: Lead Practitioner
What is your advice about? High Expectations For All
- Set mastery goals based on regular, formative evaluation. Providing students with clear, specific feedback about their goals can aid progress.
- Feedback needs to be purposeful, meaningful and compatible with prior knowledge. Stress the importance of allowing learning from mistakes.
- Positive teacher-student relationships are key. Students who feel supported by their teachers are less likely to become alienated and disengaged from their work.
- Consider grouping students in your class according to present, rather than prior attainment. This can avoid notions of fixed ability.
- Groupings should also be flexible to maximise benefits to learning.