Name: Graham Hartland
Twitter name: @ramtopsgrum
Subject taught (if applicable): Biology
Position: Head of department
What is your advice about? Pushing more able students
- Get them to talk. Set questions like “why is it easier to trace female ancestry rather than male ancestry over the last 100 000 years”. Allow left field answers.
- Be a geek, a boffin, a nerd. Answer, within reason, any question relevant to subject. Model ‘good answers’; show off your knowledge.
- Research. Read. Where are the controversies? Risks? Benefits? If we can do something, then should we? Why? Allow students to argue.
- Think long term so that practicals are seamless with lessons: it’s almost like it’s been planned… respect the class, don’t be random.
- Get students to reflect and self-evaluate. Model this: allow successful students to tell others what they do.