Name: Kate McCabe
Twitter name: @evenbetterif
Subject taught (if applicable): English
Position: Head of KS4
What is your advice about? Teaching Context for Literature
- Spend a lot of time researching your author, poet, playwright. They are likely to have had a fascinating life & lived in interesting times so discover who they are.
- Communicate this visually in your PPTs. Help students see the writers life and world whether through illustrations or photographs.
- Decide where & how you use contextual info – I always start with the context, some teachers like to start with the text. Judge the extent to which the context shapes the text.
- Look for and research less obvious context clues in the text. This could be aspects of style, narrative themes and preoccupations, motifs or language choice.
- Ask students to include contextual understanding in their paragraphs frequently so that they are aware of it’s significance. Make sure it doesn’t become an add on.