Name: Miss Toppin
Twitter name: @Miss_Toppin
Subject taught (if applicable): English
What is your advice about? Your first lesson – Seating Plan
- NEVER start teaching a class without a seating plan; it is a critical teaching tool. Moreover students see that you are the authority in your classroom from lesson one.
- If you have your own classroom, decide how you want the desks laid out. Select a layout that will allow you maximum movement, visibility and access to student work.
- If you have data, use this to inform planning. If not, just randomly spread the students out; you will adapt your plan as you get to know them.
- Line you class up outside the room. Take them in in pairs and place them in your seating plan.
- Do not negotiate your seating plan with students! Inform them that requests can be made in writing at the end of the lesson and you’ll take them under advisement.