Name: Lynn Usrey
Twitter name: @LynnUsrey
Sector: Special school
Subject taught (if applicable): Writing, Literature
What is your advice about? Get rid of plagiarism in the classroom
- Learn what makes students plagiarize – lack of motivation, unawareness of plagiarism and citation rules, heavy workload and etc. Have an open talk with your students.
- Tell about plagiarism and provide students with examples, tell about academic honor code, plagiarism consequences.
- Suggest ways of avoiding plagiarism. Inform your students about writing techniques and citation styles, how to paraphrase texts, how to quote, arrange the list of references.
- Set a scope of rules. Establish some anti-plagiarism rules so students knew what they are allowed to do and what expects them if they violate the rules.
- Use a plagiarism checker and recommend your students to use it. For example, Unplag plagiarism checker shows the percentage of similarity and links to the original sources.