Name: Graham Hartland
Twitter name: @ramtopsgrum
Subject taught (if applicable): Biology
Position: Head of department
What is your advice about? Break duty
- Are you on a rota? Find out when and where and put the time and place in your diary. Be on time: some schools allow duty teachers to dismiss classes a couple of minutes early.
- Wander around the school during a free or breaktime: where would you go if you were a child who needed quiet, away from the eyes of officialdom? Is there a duty person there?
- Calm. Neutral expression. Don’t get distracted. Keep your ears open to the noise around you. Don’t be afraid to move towards potential trouble.
- Show students how to pick up litter. Invite a few to help you. Challenge those who cause it in the first place.
- Know where other staff are in case of an incident. Keep pen and paper to hand to note names.