Name: Ian Horsewell
Twitter name: @teachingofsci
Subject taught (if applicable): Science/Physics
Position: Teacher trainer
What is your advice about? First term
- Make templates, not one-offs. Create resources you can reuse for several lessons in a week/fortnight to save time and test it thoroughly.
- Learn from the best in the school, not just your dept. Observe experts at behaviour, those who use practical tasks particularly well, those who create great resources.
- Make good links with support staff – admin, repro, technicians – because they can make your life much easier. Or harder!
- Keep track of your marking time and make sure colleagues know if the school policy is taking you an unrealistic number of hours.
- Get decent sleep, eat proper food, and do something active you enjoy. If you burn out from neglecting yourself nobody wins.