Twitter name: @teacherwithbike
Subject taught (if applicable): English
What is your advice about? Challenge for most able students
- Continue to build your academic subject knowledge. This enables you to answer questions, ask better questions, and suggest further reading. Model being knowledgeable.
- Have confidence (based on subject knowledge) to say you don’t know if you don’t know – no student appreciates BS. Model the learning process (& get them to look stuff up too).
- Build bank of related reading/resources for all topics you teach – the most interested & motivated students often enjoy this additional challenge & it’s good for discussions.
- Don’t make most able students trudge through most basic activities/content if you know they know it. Direct them to well thought-out higher level learning.
- Keep the focus on learning process & deploying knowledge well, not on grades. Once the brightest students hit the highest grades, they need to know they can keep going!