Name: Graham Hartland
Twitter name: @ramtopsgrum
Subject taught (if applicable): Biology
Position: Head of department
What is your advice about? Mini-plenaries for secondary without seeming gimmicky
- Ten question one to two word answer quick quizzes always good. Only give marks if word is spelled correctly.
- In pairs: one person describes, from memory, a diagram (heart structure, telescope, fractional distillation) other person (unseen) draws exactly what is being said.
- Tell the story (blood circulation, digestive system) in half a page. No books, just memory. Allow ten minutes.
- In pairs each writes a five mark ‘explain’ exam question for partner. Swap questions, then mark responses.
- identify specification point at start of lesson. Teach. Part way through, check what has been taught and what still needs to be done. Conclude with recap of points.