Sector: Early Years,Primary
Subject taught (if applicable): All
Position: Assistant Head
What is your advice about? Punishments in Primary School
- Scolding. Probably the number one punishment used – whether we realise it or not. Try to limit the amount of stuff you say – if only to save yourself some time.
- Silence. Sometimes, silently staring at a kid, rather than beginning an interrogation immediately can be more effective than scolding. Resist the urge to talk.
- Sarcasm. A bad idea. If you say the opposite of what you mean, you usually also imply that the kid/s are idiots. Sarcasm tends to turn your irritation into spitefulness.
- Playtime. Take away playtime in one minute increments.
- Practise. Break down whatever it is that kids keep getting punished for and teach them how to behave better. Treat it like a subject.