Name: Miss Toppin
Twitter name: @Miss_Toppin
Subject taught (if applicable): English
What is your advice about? Pushing Most Able Students
- You will never know what your students are capable of until you have stretched them to their optimum capability.
- Give them an exam question from the next key stage – type it up into your PowerPoint or worksheet and make it look normal. Then sit back and watch…you will be surprised.
- Make sure they understand that failure is a critical component of success i.e. a ‘mastery’ mindset; provide them with famous examples from all walks of life.
- Encourage both ‘Blue Sky’ and completely ‘logical’ thinking; teach them the value is knowing which mindset to use for which problem.
- DO NOT give them an easy way out; they must think their way out of a question or challenge, even if their answer is completely wrong. Make their minds robust and resilient.