Twitter name: @teacherwithbike
Subject taught (if applicable): English
What is your advice about? First Term Suggestions
- Before term begins, find out school/department approach to ‘first lessons’. It’s easy for experienced staff to forget that this is totally new territory for new teachers!
- Remember that most people are far more efficient and effective when well slept. Getting enough sleep & looking after yourself is part of being good at your job.
- As soon as possible, get out of your own classroom and be inspired by others. It’s easy to not have enough time to do this: make time. It’s usually time well spent.
- “Don’t smile ’til Christmas” is rubbish, but sorting out your expectations & routines is crucial. It’s fine to rethink/restart your behaviour management processes if needed.
- Use at least some of your mentor time discussing important (& interesting) things like your subject and how best to plan lessons in it. Minimise time dominated by admin.