Name: Miss Toppin
Twitter name: @Miss_Toppin
Subject taught (if applicable): English
What is your advice about? Your First Term
- This term is going to teach your students how to treat you; imagine a student writing an ongoing report i.e. can’t kiss teeth but can raise voice, 30m for missed homework etc.
- Establish and maintain classroom routines; ESPECIALLY when you get tired (almost burn out) in late November.
- Follow the behaviour policy to the letter, imbibe it, quote it, use it! Be consistent! It will save you from doubt, confusion and your students will really appreciate it.
- Find a friend – you will need one. There will be at least one person in there who cares about you and wants to listen to you talk…seek them out!
- Do not: work crazy hours, volunteer for everything, be rude to any support staff, stay in your room all day, pretend you can manage the marking, miss breaks and not have fun!