Name: Elin Smith
Twitter name: @Elinfa
Subject taught (if applicable): English
Position: Head of Dept.
What is your advice about? Tackling/ways into Shakespeare
- Download a Shaespearean Insult Generator page- lots of fun and allows pupils to own the language before studying the play.
- Use Rob Brydon’s YouTube clip on how we have absorbed Shakespearean quotes into today’s language.
- Get pupils to research the play’s plot prior to reading- this allows them a handle on the storyline so that they have less to contend with when tackling language and meaning.
- Get them out at the front to read and perform key scenes and hot- seat!
- Set up an ongoing blog with thought- provoking questions on characters’ motives for them to answer as homework- the learning becomes social and discursive.