Name: Graham Hartland
Twitter name: @ramtopsgrum
Subject taught (if applicable): Biology
Position: Head of department
What is your advice about? Teaching biology
- Read. Read read read read read. And then read some more. Rummage in decent second hand bookshops for more reading.
- Fill your drawers with Lego, puppets, paperclips, insulated wire, plastic cars, blutak, dice, string, Velcro…. Anything to use as a model to help explain stuff.
- Get out and take photographs of interesting things. Get a moth trap, pond dipping net, bird table, dog. Photograph what gets caught.
- Always ask yourself ‘why’ and come up with an answer for when the students ask ‘why’
- Biology is the interplay of history, geography, English, maths, drama, art, chemistry, physics, RS, PSHE, MFL, PE, geology. So read those too. (See advice point 1)