Name: Tom Rattle
Twitter name: @mrrattle
Subject taught (if applicable): Computing
Position: Head of Faculty
What is your advice about? AFL
- Make sure that feedback is tangible and precise (rather than vague comments like ‘improve your spelling’)
- Don’t be afraid to go back over a topic instead of moving forward if you feel students’ understanding is not as strong as it should be.
- Try to make your planning and assessing one and the same – let your marking inform your planning to use your time more efficient.
- Don’t be afraid to ask students and reflect on whether something is working – if assessment is ineffective or inefficient then how could you improve it?
- Remember WHY we mark – it’s not for monitoring or Ofsted – it’s for the students! If they don’t benefit, the assessment isn’t effective.