Name: Ant Smith
Twitter name: @AntSchmitt
Subject taught (if applicable): English
Position: Second in Department
What is your advice about? English
- Analyse how Blooms’ taxonomy underpins the development of reading and writing skills.
- Get geeky about your subject: have favourite authors and writers and use their material to inform the development of your own skills – then bring it all into the classroom.
- Marking must be useful but also sustainable – if your marking detracts from your own life you need to reign your practice in, otherwise you become less effective in class.
- Understand the difference between developing knowledge, understanding and skills, then be clear about what you’re trying to achieve over a period of time.
- Pre-teach concepts in engaging ways, the pupils will do the rest of the hard work for you.