Name: PJ Merrell
Twitter name: @pjmerrell
Subject taught (if applicable): English
Position: Head of Sixth
What is your advice about? Personal Statements
- Under no circumstances should the phrase “I have always wished to study …” appear. Your students are not child prodigies …
- Do not allow your charges to quote Einstein, Mandela or the Oxford English Dictionary.
- There will be an assumption that anything they say they’ve read, watched or studied they have actually … you know … read, watched or studied …
- 70% academic and 30% extra-curricular is a good guide. Unless they’re Oxbridge. Then they don’t care about extra-curricular. At all.
- Hardly anywhere interviews now. Personal statements really, really, REALLY matter. Proofread over and over again.